Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    A day at Amphitheatre Backpackers

    May 23, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    By the time we got back to our accommodation, it was pitch black, so we needed to use our head torches to navigate. In our room, we did some hand washing before dinner and put the heating on. It’s certainly chilly at this altitude. Ivan had made us pumpkin soup, followed by beef kebabs with rice, green beans, chakkalakka, carrots, and mushrooms. It was all delicious as usual.

    After dinner, the crew all went to bed. The four of us went to the bar where they had a cosy fire going. I managed to fall my full length when I tripped over a chair leg! Luckily, I didn’t hurt myself too much, but I did smash Mark’s beer!

    We didn’t stay too long before returning to our room to sleep.
    Neither of us slept too well despite the comfortable bed! We were up at 6 for a 6.30am breakfast of boiled eggs, toast, and muffins.

    Kristina and Timo opted to go on a full-day hike today at a cost of 880 rand. We decided to stay at the lodge. I spent the day writing and posting. We got our laundry done and generally got sorted out ready for the next leg of the trip. We also went for a walk around the camp. It is a lovely setup with lots of quirky features and wall art. Ivan was busy putting all the tents up to dry them out and clean them. It was cool and windy, so we spent most of the day indoors. We were grateful to have a heater in our room – the temperature was so much lower than it was in Durban!

    This evening, Ivan cooked belly pork on the braii (South African barbecue) and served it with mashed potatoes, vegetables, and left over chakkalakka. After dinner, Timo and Kristina went to the bar. We went to our room to listen to podcasts and pack for tomorrow.

    These are some photos 📸 of the art around the lodge.
    Read more