Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 70

    Checking in to Victoria Falls Rest Camp

    July 15, 2023 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    While some of the others were booking activities, we walked across the road to Victoria Falls Rest Camp, where we were camping. We had already decided we wanted to upgrade, so went to enquire at reception. We were offered a two-bedroomed lodge at a cost of US$84 per night. It was expensive and very dated, but we decided to go for it anyway! Kim and Iona, Heidi and Kris, and Liz, all found other accommodation elsewhere in the town, but we wanted to be on site so we just made the best of it.

    After settling in, a guy came to camp to take orders for T-shirts for the trips we’re doing. We all chose the colours, sizes, and designs we wanted. We paid a US$10 deposit each. Those who are leaving us tomorrow, will get them tomorrow. The rest of us will get them the day after.

    We went to the café on site to get a sandwich for lunch. The wifi there wasn’t strong enough to complete Mark’s application, so I went to sit in reception to try again there. While I was doing that, Mark went to the supermarket to buy ingredients so that we can cook for ourselves a couple of times while we’re here. He had a bit of a nightmare! All of the prices were displayed in obsolete Zimbabwean currency, so he had no clue how much things were. (It turns out that the exchange rate to the dollar is 5500 to 1!!) He also couldn’t get most of the things on our list as the shelves were bare! He ended up getting a small bag of pasta, a tin of tomatoes, a pack of bacon, the smallest jar of coffee imaginable, and a bottle of shampoo for a total price of US$26!! The days of cheap shopping are over!!

    Meanwhile, back at the site, I was still having no luck with the internet. I had to get it done, so I went back to the activity centre and asked if I could log in to their wifi. Success!! I managed to get Mark’s application completed. Now we just have to wait for it to be approved.
    Read more