Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 91

    Exploring Kiwenga Beach

    August 5, 2023 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We have breakfast included in the price of the apartment. It was very good, with coffee, fresh fruit, toast, croissants, cereals, and eggs cooked as you want. After breakfast, we spent the morning writing and listening to the radio. We spoke to Freda about the lack of a kettle, a barbecue, and TV streaming service, despite these things being advertised as included. We also reported a leak in the bathroom. She said she would discuss all of these things with Lara when she woke up!

    Later, Lara went to the shop and came back with a kettle for us! She came to look at the leak and said she would get a plumber here on Monday. I think we’ll have to live without the other two items!

    Afterwards, Raman, who works here, walked with us down to the beach to show us where our free sunbeds are. It’s a lovely spot. We didn’t use them today. Instead, we had a long walk up and down the beach. We were accosted by several Masai salesmen along the way, but they were friendly enough and not too pushy once we’d made it clear we weren’t buying! After our walk, we returned to ‘our’ beach and went for lunch at the Italian-owned beach bar there. We had a drink and shared a cheese and ham flatbread toastie. The drinks came with delicious salted snacks that were definitely designed to make you drink more! It was all very nice, but we definitely won’t be able to afford to do it every day!

    We then walked back to the apartment via the local shop we’d investigated yesterday. We bought a few more bits to add to our meagre larder! Back at Maisha Marefu, we tried out the pool. It’s a small infinity pool, perfect for cooling off after the heat of the day.

    This evening, we had pasta with mushroom and tomato sauce for dinner and watched Romancing the Stone to get us in the mood for Cartagena next year! 😂
    Read more