Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 105

    Lawns Hotel, Lushoto

    August 19, 2023 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We were camping in the grounds of the Lawns Hotel in Lushoto, a former German colonial town. In those days, it was known as Wilhelmstal (William’s Valley) after Emperor Wilhelm II.

    When we arrived, we immediately saw another Intrepid truck, obviously being led by Laban. Before we could say hello, though, we had a tour of the camp ground and the facilities. Based on this, we decided to upgrade! After our sleepless night last night, we needed to get some rest. A double room with ensuite was only US$30 per night. We were here for two nights. It seemed a small price to pay for a decent level of comfort!

    After settling in, we went in search of Laban. It was lovely to see him again, and to catch up on all the news about our group who had gone on to Nairobi with him.

    We then went to the bar for a drink with some of our group. They all seem really nice, and we had a wide-ranging conversation before dinner. For dinner, Ibrahim had made a delicious courgette soup, followed by chicken curry with spaghetti. It tasted good, but I would have preferred my curry with rice!

    Afterwards, I was on wash-up duty, and Mark should have been on flapping, but they were showing the Spurs game in the bar, so Jordan subbed for him. When we’d finished, we joined them in the bar to watch the rest of the match. Spurs beat Man United 2 – 0, so Mark was a happy man! Laban came to watch the end of the game, so we were able to say our goodbyes before retiring for the night. He is such a nice guy. We wish him nothing but happiness in his life!
    Read more