Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 164

    Whitby Distillery Tour

    March 15 in England ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    As part of my birthday celebrations, we booked a Whitby Distillery tour, including a gin tasting.

    Next year, the distillery is moving to amazing new premises in an English Heritage-owned property next to Whitby Abbey. For now, though, it is to be found in an inauspicious industrial unit on the outskirts of town. Despite the unpromising-looking building, the tour was interesting, informative, and very enjoyable.

    The business was started just a few short years ago by Jessica and Luke. Through trial and error and a lot of online research, they crafted their signature gin, flavouring it with distinctive local botanicals: heather foraged from the North York Moors, sugar kelp and local honey, each selected to champion one element of the North Yorkshire coastline.

    They began with very small quantities produced in the 40 sq ft utility room at Luke’s parent’s house and sold in local shops. Their reputation grew quickly and they were soon winning awards. Today, they have several different varieties of gin and a couple of rums, which are all delicious!

    The hour-long tour and tasting cost £25 which we felt was really good value, especially as we were given a full glass of gin and tonic with grapefruit and rosemary on arrival to drink while we listened to the presentation! We then got to taste the rest of their range. Superb!!
    Read more