Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    In the Wilderness

    April 7, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Picacho State Park is a hidden gem. Located in the Sonoran Desert, it is off the beaten track and, having suffered flash flood damage in 2022, it was obvious that the native wildlife had retaken its territory. There were tracks everywhere.

    Here some information on what you might see.

    "The Sonoran Desert abounds with wildlife. Bald and golden eagles soar above, while the handsome, ground-dwelling Gambel’s quail sings its entire repertoire. Swallows, great blue herons, snowy egrets, gila woodpeckers, phainopeplas, greater roadrunners and white-winged doves flock in large numbers. Thousands of migratory waterfowl — ducks, geese, ibis and cormorants — appear in spring and fall. The park is also home to desert bighorn sheep, coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, mountain lions, southern mule deer, antelope ground squirrels and feral burros. Near the river, muskrats and beavers can be seen; throughout the park, visitors find a variety of lizards, snakes and amphibians. Mosquitoes are active from March through October. Wear protective clothing and use repellant.

    www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=641

    We can attest to the bobcats. They had climbed all over our motorcycle.
    Read more