Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Ferndale: "Boutique Town USA"

    June 30, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    We visited several small Pacific towns in Northern California, but this one was the best by far.

    Unique to the towns of the upper Pacific coastline is that they haven't changed much since their early beginnings in the mid-1800s. While precious metals may have brought entrepreneurs to the West Coast, the vast lumber industry and local businesses have kept the economy steaming along ever since.

    You won't find large malls or shopping centers all around. 7-11s aren't on every corner. What you find are lots and lots of family-owned businesses and dairy farms, keeping the economy financially robust. Old buildings aren't torn down and replaced. Ferndale is bristling with historical plaques.

    Getting there on a motorcycle, it soon became clear why these towns have remained off the beaten track. All the roads leading there are the kind we motorcyclists love the most. Two lanes and lots of curves.

    For instance, It took us 6 hours, not counting stops, to get from Clear Lake to Eureka (298 km/185 miles). About 3 hours on the highway at Haukur speeds.

    More information: visitferndale.com/history-of-ferndale
    Read more