Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 112

    Cartagena, Colombia

    March 17, 2017 in Colombia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Cartagena is a colorful combination of beautiful architecture, people and tranquility. The historic center which is filled with colonial buildings, plazas, small restaurants, cafes, street vendors and, at night, dancers, musicians, and horse drawn carriages is contained within the old walls of the city.

    I stayed in a part of town called Getsemani which boasts a plethora of street art, small alley like streets where families sit, listen to music, enjoy a drink or play games, and a wonderful plaza in front of an old church where at night locals and tourists alike grab a beer, some street food and enjoy live music, break dance performances, meeting new people and watching as kids play soccer or jump on a small trampoline that is set up on the plaza as well.

    I spent a good few days at a hostel called Green House that became a small family along with a few Dutch friends, the two lovely staff Mario and Elaynne and after a couple of dsys the entire block of families tienda owners and barbers.

    I was lucky to catch a Miss Colombia Carnaval style parade for the contestants of the competition, play music on the street with a few locals, and visit a part of town where a Dutch friend has a charity called Milagros de Amor and helps children in the underserved community learn to kick box, paint murals in their neighborhood and enjoy time together in a safe and enjoyable environment.

    Though touristy, Cartagena ( the center) has a real charm, the people are amazing the constant soundtrack of music in the streets is enchanting and the heat... Well there is a lot of that.
    Read more