Show on map
  • Day100


    July 12, 2017 in Norway ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Right so I fell asleep around 8:30 - woke up at 12:30 because I was so hot, woke again at 4 and then again at 8. It was truly magically looking at the clock seeing I still had so much time left.
    I don't want to admit to Will he is right but I am probably tired because I overslept 😅
    We had planned to leave the hotel by 9 but that didn't happen lol.
    We left the room about 8:45 to go get breakfast from upstairs.
    It was buffet but average at best. We don't know how much it cost but again, no other choices.
    We left around 10.
    We had to drive about 30km to get to the there on another windy one and a half lane road.
    Stunning scenery.
    We got to the car park and it cost 200krones for the day ($30) 😒
    Will went and got the ticket and paid 40 but it came back with a timer on it - he said it was the only ticket option - We enquired and got told we bought the wrong one I went and bought a new one and it came out with the same thing on it. A different guy said the ticket I bought was correct- I said we already had a ticket so he gave me a 200krone refund.
    Went back to the car and realized actually there was a difference but we didn't want to walk all the way over again so we just left it and hoped we didn't get a fine/ would explain the situation in a kind manner. Lol
    Right so it was a 5km+ hike to the main boulder.

    THE FIRST BIT NEARLY KILLED ME. The option of turning around and quitting crossed my mind haha.

    It was so steep and never ending. We had maybe 10 breaks just on the first stretch. The air was so cold we were both just so breathless.
    My ear started hurting again so I put on Wills snow beanie.

    Honestly though the first bit was a nightmare. 1km straight up. It had chains for you to hold onto and pull yourself up with.
    We finally had a turn and going down into the most beautiful valley type area. Amazing, truly amazing.
    One guy had pitched a tent and there were some sheep around. We got lots of photos at this spot.
    And so began the second mountain. Not hill. It was a mountain.
    Their was less strenuous on the lungs but more so on the legs. It too had chains to drag my fat ass up with.
    A lot of the journey was very similar in that we climbed and discovered a new phenomenal view before continuing.
    At one point I went on a little detour down the mountain because I dropped my selfie stick timer button and it went tumbling off a rock.
    We found it though. 😬
    It was so beautiful that Will actually ASKED for a photo of himself to be taken and didn't complain once when I took them either.
    That says a lot btw.

    Yay next mountain...

    Send help, Lord.
    Dying. Death was so near.
    This but was difficult because it was just rockfaces i had to CRAWL up in my hands and feet.
    I did so many awesome and some disgusting failure snocket rockets. A lot of boogers are in my hair I think.
    The air just made my nose run like a tap.
    I kept thinking to myself it's gotta be over the next little bit, over the next one.
    I eventually got fed up and asked people on the walk back. They said we had 30 minutes to go which I didn't mind because it was now the anticipation rather than the thigh burns that were killing me.
    Their next bit was a gradual decline ( I didn't realise until we had to walk back up it on the return trip 😏)
    Easy to walk though.
    So many people have brought their dogs - 1 dog had shoes on hehehe.
    Some people brought with them their entire backpacking packs. I couldn't have done it if I'd brought mine. Crazy people.
    It started to drizzle and I prayed that the rain would hold off til we got there.
    Walk walk walk
    Death death death

    We finally found a 0.3km sign 🎉🎉🎉
    For the last part of the journey we had to walk on an ice bridge- I caught one lady who landed on her ass, stood up and nearly fell over again. Lol.
    This bit was super slippery
    It fell like it took an eternity and that we wouldn't never get there but WE MADE IT 😭😭😭😭😭😭

    There was a short queue to get on the boulder. Will was going to do it until he realized it was a 1km drop beneath it.
    I've never seen him so fearful. We couldn't even go close to the edge of the cliff.
    I obviously had no problem with it so I jumped in line.
    The girl in front of me bitched it at the last minute.
    On I got. I posed and Will took a photo.
    I like the photo too! 🤗
    And so began the journey back.
    It was fucking FREEZING. I applied paw paw to my entire face.

    Angharad, You will just have to go relook at photos because no words I say can accurately describe the environment. It was surreal actually being there. Breathtaking.

    Ok so turns out going down is just as hard just in a different way. We both have dodgy knees and oh my it was not good. Not good.
    My knee gave way several times on the journey home and I landed in my ass over 5 times.
    The rain had started turning the dirt to mud and the mud makes my shoes loose grip so I went sliding down a few mountain slopes. It hurt really.
    The rocks are sharp little buggers and my hands began to feel like they had been slit by glass.
    Oh and my ankles hurt from walking on diagonal rock faces. It wasn't going well. 😂 We also hadn't eaten since breakfast and that was over 7 hours ago so our tummies hurt.
    We got overtaken by so many people who didn't have old grandma knees but there was also a lot of people struggling with us. On the second last decent my legs were shaking uncontrollably.
    Will had one fall too.
    I landed on my knees in a pile of mud so my clothes are really dirty and my knees were cold. Lol
    We took our camel packs with us which ended up being a fantastic idea!
    I could have walked for several more kilometers on flat but the last mountain nearly destroyed me. First was up and oh my word that was hard. Coming down was what made me miserable though. It was so bad I couldn't even admire the beauty anymore I had to focus on not falling of a cliff. I eventually gave up a little bit and dirtied my pants more by sliding down rocks.
    I stacked it again and hurt my elbow. Stupid shoes.
    I was ok though and certainly not the only one falling.
    We were both close to breaking point but we got there phew.
    We drove home ate dinner at the resturant and then collapsed into bed. We both didn't move for a solid 20 mins before I had a shower. Our clothes were saturated!!! Wills jumper was completely drenched - the entire back and half the front.
    All my clothes were wet too. I didn't even realize I had been sweating.
    We looked at the go pro pictures together on the laptop. There are some good ones but honestly Wills photo takes the best.
    My phone is a piece of rubbish in comparison to both.
    Like, I prefer iPhones but they gotta improve their camera quality.
    We are now just sitting in the foyer because our room doesn't have internet. We have another hike planned for tomorrow. send help, I'm already having troubles standing. 💪🏻
    Read more