Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 310

    Paris

    February 7, 2018 in France ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    Fantastic day. Truly wonderful.

    Up at 11:30. I was in and out of sleep since 7 because everyone was so loud and some knob turned the lights on at 6.
    Bad hostel etiquette tut tut

    We decided first we would walk 5km to the Eiffel tower.
    But fist Will SNIFFED out McDonalds. I couldn't believe it. It was like watching a bloodhound.

    The walk was so much fun.
    I know last time I wasn't fussed by Paris but today was magical. I think the snow contributed to that a lot though.

    It was so thick and everywhere! I loved the snow covered leafless trees!
    Everyone is gonna have a cold bum when they have to get back on their scooters!! 20cm at least!

    Just everything was white and it was great - it made the buildings look special.

    We had a few snow ball throws and I made 2 snow angels 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗
    So many kids around the place having snowball fights and so many snowmen! Will made a snow rooster.

    Paris has recently had really bad flooding and the river was still very high! The boardwalks you are meant to walk on are still completely covered and all the boat owners have made temporary bridges to their boats lol.

    It wasn't exactly hard to walk on the ice/snow but you could really feel your legs working overtime to grip. Our shoes are the best. No wet socks for us.
    Some idiot was in wedges. Like really, love?

    Along with the snow there was a lot of sludge

    We have seen a lot of statue on our travels but again, the fact they were covered in snow made it cooler.

    Got to the Eiffel Tower and OF COURSE it is under construction too hahaha
    It was closed so we couldn't go up.
    Still could get beautiful photos though.

    We both commented that is was more golden than expected and not harbour bridge coloured.

    The top of it is quite ugly from a distance but fine up close.

    We walked around a bit trying to find a good angle. Got some cute lil happy snaps so I'm pleased. He actually consented to photos today. Bless.

    We walked around to the other side of it to get photos from a higher point. (Same point we got pics with school)
    On the way there was a great hippie snowman that had flowers and boobs hahaha

    More photos more photos.

    There was like no one there. Maybe 50 that's it.
    Normally it's fairdinkum impossible to get photos without 100 strangers in your photos.
    Yay.

    We walked another 2km further up to reach the arc de triomphe.

    So many icicles hanging off banisters.

    It's big. Looks like all arches but is extra famous so we got more photos and watched cars drive around.
    Not a bad centerpiece haha

    We decided to then try our luck at the louvre.
    We caught the metro (had to change once) but found it easily enough. It's a big enough deal that there are lots of signs.

    Will was dying for a wee. 1.5€ toilet fee later...
    I hate you europe.
    Australia would riot if you had to pay to use a toilet.
    You shouldn't have to pay if you are going to get in trouble by going on the street. It's a non optional process.

    Baaaaaah there was no line. Walked straight in.
    Unheard of.

    Well a very short delay because we had to get screened at security but then straight through.

    Went and bought tickets in another non existed queue. €15 each which I think is reasonable for where we were.

    Followed the arrows straight to the Monna Lisa.
    Let's be honest, it's why most people visit.

    Only a crowd of 30 in front and I quickly got to the front.
    Also unheard of.
    She was bigger than Will expected.

    We then just dordled through the galleries. Some wonderful and others eh.
    The only other one I recognized was the 4 fruit people (not official name 😂) by Giuseppe Arcimboldo.

    We didn't see everything. Our legs were sore - especially Wills feet cause his shoes are too small and because we wanted to get outside before sunset to get a picture with the glass triangle - which we then did.

    From there we walked home.
    My phone tells me we walked 15.3km today.
    27,513 steps. Not bad not bad.

    As we were walking home I couldn't believe my eyes.
    quite literally every second shop/ two of every three shops was a wig shop and/or a place that sold hair products and/ or a hair dresser.
    I saw more wigs on this street than in my life.
    Probably because every single person was black and they all have annoying hair so they braid or shave. Hence the wigs.
    It's was out of this world.
    What's more is every shop was full!

    I would say 50% of Paris is black and 50% white.
    Both are prominent.

    We arrived home and rested our feet for an hour before we went out for some Indian/Pakistani food.
    It was good.

    Back home and so happy to be in bed in our little pods.
    I love my curtain 😍

    Uploaded some of today's to yesterday.

    Dad have you got my emails? I have sent like 6 because 4 bounced back then 2 said they sent but you haven't replied.
    I got yours today though..?
    enjoy the cruise guys :)
    Read more