Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 282

    PAN ASIA HASH 2022 (6-9 Oct 22)

    October 9, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    It was a well-coordinated and managed event, and I have seen a few. The venue was in Pangandaran, Indonesia, but most of the nearly 3000 hashers that arrived from abroad flew into Jakarta on the 6th. A 45 minute taxi to the train station saw a growing pack anxious to board the prearranged trains for the 7 hour overnight trip, arriving early Friday morning. But there’s more . . . departing the train, we still had about an hour on busses for the final delivery to the Villa Allure in Pangandaran. Upon arrival, we were immediately afforded the opportunity to check in and get our goodie bags, and what a haul they were. We received 3 shirts (one with matching shorts), hooded wind breaker, hat, patch, sticker, key chain, tattoo sleeve, hydro flask, cloth bag, and an actual collapsible suitcase. I had to leave most of it behind due to the limits of my travel experience and living out of a backpack. After dropping everything off in our hotel rooms (and sorting through all the goodies), it was time to go meet the other hashers and find the beer. The day was mostly overcast, and by the time we rallied for the Red Dress Run that afternoon, it was a steady drizzle. The trail was mostly just a pass through down town Pangandaran, and down along the beach, before returning to the venue for the evening party. The food was excellent, and the entertainments was . . . LOUD. Lots of fun, but some of us needed a couple hours sleep before the main event on Saturday.

    Having rained all night, and quite hard at times, we all wondered how that might affect the trails. The Ball Buster was listed as a 25 Kms adventure that would take in 3 beaches, some jungle trails, and finish back at the venue. After a 45 minute bus ride to the start, on 4 busses, the pack of over 200 hashers were ready to take on the day. By this time, the rain had tapered off, and some small glimpses of blue sky started to poke out. We were informed that, due to the hard rain overnight, that the trial would be closer to 20 kms. Getting the final countdown, the pack took off downhill, only to turn hard left and back up another hill, slipping and sliding our way along. Eventually reaching the beach, the next 5 kms on the sand, crossing waterfalls and streams, scaling some cliffs, and climbing some hills, before turning inland. Then it was lots of mud and ankle to knee high water puddles up to 50 meters across. Eventually we got closer into town, and drier tracks. In the end, it was an excellent adventure. My only complaint about the weekend, was upon finishing the 20 kms back to the venue, no one had thought to tap the kegs yet. Made due by hitting the showers and putting on dry clothes. By the time we returned, the party was in full swing. A late night of fun, food, beer, and craziness ensued.

    https://www.relive.cc/view/vxOQ4AzrX2v - Fly the BB trail

    Sunday had us lining back up for the busses to the days adventures. I chose the Green Canyon trail, which was about an hour bus ride out to the location. Trail was only about 6 kms, but was very scenic, and muddy. Upon finishing, the blocks of ice were waiting, and everyone was escorted in to take a seat and scull a beer. Some of the taller visitors were ushered to the ice several times, which I did not resist much. The beer was tasting pretty good. After returning to the venue, it was another afternoon/evening of dinner, dancing, and frivolity. A massive fireworks display ended the evening, and one more night of sleep before everyone headed to their bus for transport back to the train, or to their hometowns. I caught a ride with some hashers going home to Bandung, where my adventure in Indonesia will continue for another week.

    We held a meeting to coordinate the next Pan Asia selection, and attempted to get it back on the odd year cycle. Unfortunately, the bidders did not feel comfortable with only one year to plan . . . so the next Pan Asia will take place in 2024 in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, [rego is open - https://www.pah2024.com ] followed by the next one in 2025.
    Read more