Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Day 36 - 60p Beer and Pesto

    March 15, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    Day 35 brings us to a new country - Cambodia. We left Ho Chi Minh with a last sandwich and just about scraped out of the country after queuing at the slowest check in desk then having immigration question our visas and having to get a 2nd opinion from a manager. We had the same problem with the British Gov recommended visa on the way in, surely on the way out though they shouldn't care quite so much? Luckily manager said yes and we quick footed it to the gate only to stand in the airport transfer oven, sorry I mean bus, while people faffed around looking at waving lucky cats and overpriced dried fruit.

    A bumpy 40 minute plane ride over the border we arrived in Phnom Penh and our waiting taxi. The temperature has risen again and even in the 5 minutes it took us to get from the hotel to a bar to grab some food left us glowing with sweat. At least the bar had 60p happy hour beer. And pesto! (How I've missed you green heaven). And that's pretty much how the rest of the evening continued. We had a nice dinner at a place called Mok Mony. It has an interesting concept that they'd rather you order out of your comfort zone than play it safe just so you don't waste food/money/be hungry so they have a no questions asked returns system. Any sent back food they say they box up and give to the local homeless or street kids. I get guilty for not sending mine back but it was too delicious! After dinner as the wifi in the hotel isn't strong enough for Matt's Cheltenham fix we traipsed bats till we found somewhere which did. Luckily they had £2 red wine to entertain me.

    A quiet day today so inspired by Matt's quiz when he guest edited I've put a photo on which I took from a rooftop bar which is like a bingo game of South East Asia sights. I've mentioned most in the blog so see how many you can get.
    Read more