Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Eagles Nest, Germany

    May 27, 2013 in Germany ⋅ 🌧 2 °C

    On our way home from Austria, we stopped at The Eagles Nest, a house given as a gift to Hitler for his 50th birthday, was purely incredible to visit. Why? Why is it so amazing. I often think this having lived in Germany and learn of the great torture they truly still hold close to their heart. The history is just incredible.The Eagles Nest was built for him as a 50th birthday present but Hitler had only been there about 14 times. The house that he resided in was closer to the bottom of the Mountain but had been torn down after the war.
    Cars are not allowed to drive up the winding roads to the house, so we took an amazing tour with
    Eagle’s Nest Historical Tours.
    Civilians now reside in the white houses that once housed SS guards.
    Once atop the mountain, we were escorted down a tunnel and into the elevator provided for Hitler made of gold and bronze. Once again, summer fell below and winter resided on top of the mountain. Completely covered with snow, overcast allowed for beautiful views but ice created some slippery conditions. Our time was cut short because the mountain had to close for the 5th time since opening just that month by a bad storm coming in that actually dropped an incredible amount of snow very quickly.

    Hippie Tip:
    Hike around the area, or even all the way up to the Eagles Nest.
    Take your time in the Documentation Center, it's amazing
    Read more