Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Monchique, Portugal

    November 19, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    Madli used to live in the area, so she took us on a tour of the mountainous area of the Algarve near here. Monchique is famous for the local firewater, Medronho. It's like Raki or Rakia if you've ever been to Eastern Europe. It's made from a local berry. We tried it in Lagos, and once was enough!

    Once again, I found myself driving on very windy roads to get to Monchique. It was a Sunday and the motorcycles were out in force. We walked around the hilly city for awhile and then drove to the mountain top nearby to see views of the sea. Afterwards we stopped at a beach on the West coast called Praia de Monte Clerigo. It was totally different weather than Lagos or Sagres. It was overcast, much cooler and pretty foggy. We had a picnic on the beach and I took some photos of Madli and Louie who have an inside joke about a future wedding at a pink church in that beach town in about 15 years.

    We said our goodbyes to Madli and Naiara. Madli will do some work for a friend there and we'll leave at 6:30 am the next day from Lagos to Lisbon. All in all it was a blast to have the company of old friends in a beautiful shared house with a pool.

    More photos and videos are here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ojXZniVE7ZbjkZ6RA
    Read more