Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    The Galician Coast

    November 25, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 55 °F

    We booked a 9 hour tour of the Galician coast. We started in central Santiago and headed west to towns like Freixo, A Ribeira do Maio, and Muros before taking in a waterfall. We made it to Fisterra, which for the purists is the true end of the Camino de Santiago. Most just finish the walk in front of the Cathedral, but some continue on until they get to "the end of the world" at the Galician coast town of Fisterra, and go to the lighthouse on a rocky peninsula. It's a beautiful area.

    We went north from there to see the Costa da Morte, or Death Coast, so called because of all the shipwrecks there over the years. We also learned about the catastrophic sinking of an oil tanker in 2002 that was a huge environmental disaster. On the tour we met two American women. One was an Anglican priest who was now working in town helping pilgrims. She completed the trek about 2 years earlier and said it was "transformative." We had lunch with them and shared travel tales.

    The last stop was Roman era arched bridge over a small river. It's called the Ponte Maceira and it made for some nice photos before we called it a day. We had just enough time to grab some snacks, take a nap, and then head out to the show at Sala Capitol.

    More photos and videos are at https://photos.app.goo.gl/anuDqsWajAqBEq9c8
    Read more