Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Flying over Everest

    December 1, 2016 in Nepal ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    01/12/16

    GOOD NEWS! It's the first of Dec and the Noble family between them have given us 3 advent calendars so we get to play with normal chocolate and a card.

    We're up at 5am because we're FLYING OVER EVEREST!!! Omg literally buzzing. We couldn't afford the proper flight and ended up on a budget alternative which looking at the maintenance of their kit did put a bit of doubt in our minds (thanks to lynzzz for not making me catastrophise as per)!

    It's a one hour flight and we see shed loads of mountains including Everest which is mind blowing. The pilot invited us up to the cockpit to get a better look. However there was this Australian bird with a MASSIVE arse who was hogging the cock pit... The air hostess asked her like 4 times to leave to give everyone else a chance... I went full UK 'alright love do you mind' she was like 'ey I was talking to the pilot is that oll royt with yew?' Psh any way Noblet held me back as some more exchanges were had!! EW she rode an elephant and was taking hideous Selfies the whole time.... Aussies have just jumped in front of the yanks for my least fave travellers!

    Back to the flight amazing seeing the tallest part of the world! Awesome.... If you do a 14 day trek to basecamp, you're probably not going to see it.... Also if you've ever fancied climbing Everest then you're going to need at least £40-50k!!!!!

    The flight also highlighted the extent of the urban sprawl which had the whole Kathmandu valley covered with housing. This reminds us both to appreciate and protect our green belt although I think I may be putting words into noblets mouth!

    Caught up with Noblets Friend saurav who's wedding we went to for lunch (had Italian) and then beers at the post office. Apparently Nepali time not only means you are at least 1/2 hour late to everything but also that you finish work early and shut the post office 20mins early! Slaaaaag!

    Oh before beers I got raped by Sauravs dog... I was like crawling over to join in a convo having just played with another dog and then it came.... Straight for my rear, grabbed hold and wouldn't let go. It was massive!! The boys had to save me before my only pair of trousers were savaged! 😂

    Walked 5k home which was not 5k more like 8-10! And had to do it on a bearing as had no map but we got there. Dodgy place used for hippies and the like for meditating. Standard smell of curry/ smoke/ pollution/ dirt in this one. Getting used to it now! Apparently Indian/ Nepalese maps are notorious for having their scales and projected distances right! So becoming less trusting of both Google & Apple maps!

    Donkey: Holly for starting a fight in a small plane and also being raped by a large dog for ages. Holly for giving 1000 rupee tip for 200 rupee taxi ride.

    Man: Charlie getting us home in 2 hours walking on a bearing in a city!!
    Read more