Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Strangers in the night

    January 3, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    03/01/17

    Koh Phagnan to Bankok

    It's day three of a horrific never ending hangover.

    Noblet says it doesn't count if you get drunk in between but honestly I feel like I haven't smiled in days.

    There is a mega storm which has thunder the loudest we've ever heard and also the longest.... Some claps went on for more than 15 seconds right over our heads. The rain was absolutely bouncing.

    Whilst the weather breaks we check out of the hotel, I put my bag down.... And rip off my toenail again OMG fml this is totally noblets fault somehow!!!

    Finally manage some plain toast and chicken nuggets around 1pm which is progress.

    We are moving from the party island to BangKok today.

    We've decided to upgrade to a fancy pants boat after the night boat debarcle getting there.... It came with life jackets YEAH BOY! The guys who worked on the boat were still wearing black armbands for the king who died.

    Then a coach and night train in sleeper class to take us to BKK.

    Because we were trying to be clever we didn't book the sleeper train tickets until we got to the station. Only when we got there the sleeper tickets had all sold out!!! Ahh!!

    We managed to get the last two tickets for the 0000hrs train. This resulted in us being stuck in a dodgy area of town (Suratani) in yet more pouring rain for over 6 hours. I'm pretty sure this must be character building. Suratani is defo only a transport hub it's pretty grim!

    We get food from the street markets which is our fave bit about Thailand so far. They have all these little stalls set out with plastic tables and chairs and you just get what you like. Fupa was right chicken on a stick and rice is great!! As are banana and milk pancakes... Defs going to be on the menu for travelling Tuesday's. There is also shed loads of stuff which we have no idea what it is!! We go on a mooch to try to get some steps in and kill some time.

    An eternity of waiting gets us on to the train which is due to get in at 1030hrs. (10.5 hour journey). We're all set for an Indian sleeper (freezing, rickety, squatting WCs) but much to our delight the thing is basically from the future! There's bed sheets, a pillow, a curtain and plug socket for each bed! There's a sitting toilet WITH TOILET ROLL! Air con lights and a TV which shows you where we are on the journey!! It's brilliant! And for £22 what a bargain! Imagine that in the UK it would be more like £350!

    Donkey: Noblet for wanting to take a 200 odd mile trip to go and see a pottery museum.

    Man: Holly for managing to smile again
    Read more