Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Mutts & Muay Thai

    January 8, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 4 °C

    08/01/17

    BangKok

    Walk a few k to the market which is meant to be mental with squirrels dancing in dresses but unfortunately we don't see any....(suppose this is a good thing)

    The highlight of our clothes shopping is discovering several shops who sell cheap second hand t shirts, all previously belonging to clubs or outings. There was the 2011 Texas PD golf tournament, dodgems graduation 2008, the Boston 5k.... It was brilliant sifting stuff.

    After scouring the normal clothes and home wear sections of this fantastic market we break and ask at the information desk for an animal section. This is the moment... Noblet is on standby to call me donkey!!!! But she knew!! It's a thing, and gave us to directions to somewhere off the map!

    We get there and immediately there are puppies everywhere!!! Very fluffy ones which are popular in such a hot country .... Weird?? How can you have huskies when winter is 30 degrees? Theres a lot of them.
    We used to pass a husky in Sale and that way dying in 15 degree heat every day lying down.

    There were rabbits and guinea pigs and cockatoos. But also crazy animals that we couldn't describe cute and fury. Flying squirrels, hedge hogs, all types of monkies, crazy reptiles including massive turtles and snakes and lizards which looked like they were from jurassic park!!

    We had our fill and Noblet failed to procure 'tentacle on a stick' having walked past around ten stalls selling it. I gamble on some chicken on a stick and as standard its fit!!!

    Round off with coconut ice cream and head of to the Thai Army TV Channel 7 Muay Thai boxing show!

    We get in (you have to wear a black or white t shirt with the whole king being dead thing)

    Enter into a 1000 person capacity stadium. Whities in a corner opposite the camera, stacked on bleacher seating. The poor people sitting in front of Noblet had no chance with his size 13 feet and left early.

    We waited a couple of hours on this ex TV studio turned boxing ring and then the formalities started.

    The lads are paraded the TV presenter starts up and the crowd are as dull as dishwater.... I'm worried its going to be gash.

    Then the lads start walking around the ring to the sound of bells, getting on all fours and doing the macarina. Once completed, touch gloves and the round starts. 3 judges. Music with bells which the lads (barely taller than the ropes) tap their feet to. Then the action starts and they're belting 7 shades out of each other.... I'm team red noblets team blue.
    The Blues have it to start flooring the red 3 times whipping his feet out from under him!!! But the red fights back... This sets the crowd off and hands are flying everywhere! These hands turn out to be bets with the fingers up noting the amount they want to put on a guy.... Someone in the crowd makes eye contact and the deal is done. The bets are on and the crowd is going mental with each blow! They shout eye ya if a knee is lifted and this goes for either team it's an amazing atmosphere!! Wowzer! Everyone gets louder and louder and then the bells go. Each guy and his team are convinced they've won whilst receiving their ice baths and leg massages in the corner. Round 2.... Same shiz but faster bells working the crowd.... Final round to a crazy fast bell ringing session working the crowd up into an absolute frenzy as hands fly everywhere telling the lads how to work and placing more bets!!!

    The final bell goes and the blues have it!! Wow AMAZING!!! Literally buzzing!!!

    Next round a guy (blue) gets knocked out and ends up sending a few of the tourists home as they realise this isn't for them! But we want blood!!!

    Next couple of rounds and the Reds have the day 4-1!

    We're about to leave when... There's another match... And it's children!!!! No more than 12 the lads haven't learnt to defend yet and are absolutely vicious!!! I hamper Noblet to put a bet on but he's all like 'what are the odds I don't know!?' GAYY!

    I get 100 out and wang it on blue. (Yes we're betting on children beating each other with no helmets or shin pads!) the guy accepts my bet from down below. We have no idea what is going on....
    Could have accidentally bet 1000 for all we know!

    The Blues loose and I quickly pay the guy to avoid becoming involved in some mafia/ army drama! The man is delighted having clearly got odds which made us a mug but meh!! It matters more when there's money on it!!!!

    We leave and head home via the bus stop to book our way out of BangKok to Cambodia tomorrow!! BUZZING!

    Great day rounded off with cheese and wine at the hotel!
    Read more