Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    San Cristobal Hill

    April 22, 2023 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    Each time I've asked a local what sights we shouldn’t miss they mentioned taking the funicular up San Cristobal Hill. Something about funiculars awakens my inner child and I was really excited to go. The ride up was fun and the views at the top were spectacular although the pics don't really capture it. We enjoyed getting a feel for the scope of city and loved the majesty of the mountains around it.

    I was enjoying the view so much that it was a while before I noticed the huge statue of the Virgin Mary further up the hill. We hadn’t done much research before coming and I was really surprised that no one had mentioned it. It stands 22 meters or 72ft high, making it one of the largest statues of h Virgin Mary in the world. The Virgin Mary is revered by Catholics throughout Chile with many festivals and tributes in her honor. I’m not catholic, but I appreciate the powerful symbol of love, compassion, motherhood and femininity.

    After the San Cristobal Hill we walked to Costenera Center. This 62 story skyscraper is the tallest in South America. It’s 300 meters tall (that 984 ft!) about 354 ft taller than the St. Louis Arch. The observation deck had 360 degree views of the city with a second open air deck above. On the lower levels of the building there’s a mall which on Saturday evening was packed!

    
We had dinner with Gabriel and Yamilla at a nearby bao restaurant called Bao Mambo. They had never had Bao so Sam described them as Chinese Arepas, which we all thought was really funny but true :). It turned out to be a great meal and great company!!.
    Read more