Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Scrip

    December 18, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Craig and I decided we would do a hike which offered a bit of road and a bit trail to a nearby village called Scrip, about a 7km round trip. It was an opportunity to try out our hiking poles with an elevation gain of about 250m. The kids decided to stay at home (Kate went in for a dip in the sea out the front of our house), the parents went to Supetar.

    We followed an off road trail according to Suunto but after quite a bit of elevation gain we got to a temporary fence, went through that and came across two more blocking the trail where there had been a bit of land slippage, so we turned around and went all the way back down to the road.

    After then following a footpath on a back road we came to a sign which was for walkers to follow and said 1.7 km to Scrip. That would be 1.7km of steady and at times quite steep descent. Pretty sure most of our 250m elevation gain happened in that 1.7 km.

    But, beautiful views and we popped out at the top at a lovely cemetery. After walking down a boulevard of sorts past an old church, a 15th century castle and a variety of buildings which looked of similar vintage, we bought some baguette, cheese, salami, beer and chocolate and walked back to the cemetery as it had a park bench with fabulous views (the deceased really do get prime real estate in Europe).

    It was a great stop. A flock of sheep just below us had bells attached which provided a lovely background sound! I feel like this was a bit of Camino-in-training... Although of course we only walked about 8.4 km and the Camino will call for 20 km/day minimums.

    Back home, the boys tried a bit of fishing and the impossible puzzle quest continued.
    Read more