Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Dubrovnik to Plitvice Lakes NP

    December 28, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    We left beautiful Dubrovnik today and drove about 5 hours to a tiny village of Korana which is a few kilometres out of one of the entrances of Plitvice Lakes National Park. This is our home for the next three nights.

    Croatia has a large number of mountain ranges so they don't mind a tunnel or two, and we went through several today that were 3+km long.

    We stopped in a reasonably sized village called Korenica at this really popular restaurant. The menu was totally in Croatian and it was a place like IKEA where they dish out your food for you. We just took 4x of whatever the first thing she took the lid off which was a really delicious thick beef steak in gravy served with mashed potato. By way of comparison, a 500ml bottle of Ozujsko beer is just over €1 in the supermarket, about €8 in restaurants in Dubrovnik and €2.40 in this restaurant. We then did a small grocery shop and found our Airbnb in a tiny village of about 15 houses located in Korana right on the river Korana. There is a restored water mill in the village with its own little series of cascading waterfalls. Once again, crystal clear water.

    Craig and I then did a quick reconnaissance trip about 5km down the road to see what the supermarket and restaurant scene looks like around here. We have also downloaded the app ready for our visit to the National Park tomorrow. Unfortunately there is no snow as I would have really liked to have seen the NP in snow, but the upside that we don't need to fit snow chains to the car.

    It would also be very nice if the brown bears and lynx and wolves and deer in the region also congregate in the NP over the next two days for our viewing pleasure 🤭
    Read more