Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 10

    Santiago de Compostela

    17 września 2023, Hiszpania ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    The following day I opted for the early 09:30 pilgrim Mass rather than the noon one. What a difference. Although the church was full there was little of the unsightly and irreverent jostling for a "good seat" and a photo opportunity.

    Mass was followed by Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. Kneeling on a marble floor added to the penitential nature of a pilgrimage. Then there was time to visit the tomb of the apostle for a prayer and then to ascend for an abrazo, the names of those I'd promised to pray for running through my mind.

    Out and away to the pilgrims office for the faffy ritual of getting a ticket to stand in a queue for 20 seconds before collecting the compostela. Useful perhaps when it's busy, but with no more than four of us gathered? Heigh ho.

    A morning coffee and then the heavens opened. Only on the wicked? It certainly wasn't gentle.

    The Variante Espiritual is a good, short, self contained pilgrimage. As with the Ingles though, it's not long enough to feel immersed. To lose yourself. Having said that, I could see me coming back to it, but in cooler weather.

    Pax et bonum
    Czytaj więcej