Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    The Calafate & Perito Moreno glacier

    December 26, 2014 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    After 20 hours of a bus travel, starting at 4:30am and arriving to final destination at 1:30am we can say we've seen the vast topography of this not-so-small island named 'Firelands' or 'tierra del fuego' in Spanish. As we started our journey (fighting not to fall asleep), we crossed the last row of the Andes and its majestic tips and lakes, and then suddenly after couple of hours the showcase of the sudden change of landscape, completely flat and desert, from deep blue and savage green to yellowish hues of desertic isolation. While crossing the strait, we got the chance to see few penguins and their kind of black and white dolphins following us while we arrived to the main land of South America.
    Final destination: el Calafate, a small town best known to the world because of its big glacier, the most famous in south america: Perito Moreno glacier. In the area we also got to visit another small town 'el Chalten', both touristic destinations during austral summer.

    And we both had a similar feeling experiencing the impact of this wild nature. Our impression is the magnificent force of nature, and thoughts on how amazing is to be able to get to see how after 5000millions years, the forces of nature still shaping our landscape and how still humans are surrender to its wildness.
    We are totally happy with this highlight of the trip, totally worth to visit if you ever get the chance :-)
    Read more