Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Trinidad de Arre (24.3km / 62km)

    April 21, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    We were too tired to post last night! Lets just say the day did not go according to plan and our humility and patience were tested.
    Communal breakfast with the group was lovely! The walk was beautiful as the pictures will show.
    But the story of the day was that things don’t always go to plan but “the Camino provides” as we have heard so often!
    We really wanted to stay at the the Albergue run by the Sacred Heart Sisters in Zabaldika so we booked the night before and set off early for our 21km walk. The first part included a really steep decline on difficult rocky surface into Zubiri. We revived ourselves with a coffee and maybe shared a chocolate croissant. Our planned lunch place was closed so we walked another 4km to Zuriain. Then the last stretch to the Albergue. When we got there the person in front of us got the last bed. I showed my text confirmation but they said they don’t take reservations. This was the first night they had been full and were surprised themselves. Disappointed and tired we set off for another hour to the next town, Trinidad de Arre, staying in a municipal hostel in a room with 20 others. We went to mass and had a quick dinner and then to bed.
    A sister from the convent came to the hostel with other pilgrims and asked for us, checking that we had found a bed and apologised that they were full. She was lovely and gave us tips on other “Religious” Albergues to stay at in the coming days.
    We will reflect on the day in time but for now it is a reminder that the best made plans don’t always work out and that is ok! We’re off to Pamplona today, a short walk and play tourist.
    Read more