Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Logrono (20.2km / 161.3km)

    April 28, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    We got an early start without bothering fellow pilgrims in our private room with our own en-suite!! Our target for the day was to get to the Albergue Parroquoil de Santiago in Logrono early enough to get a bed! It is the Albergue run by the local parish volunteers, so we had breakfast at sunrise.
    We decided to walk alone today so A could get to the Albergue at opening time without rushing J. Apart from the “knee wrecking” decent out of the town, It was supposed to be an easy 20km walk but we both found it hard on our feet. Anyway, we got a bed this time.
    Highlights along the way were the food caravan selling coffee and snacks, a busker playing his Spanish guitar as we climbed a hill. J made a couple of wrong turns but redirected by locals, one who was driving a tractor and hooted madly.
    We both appreciated the breeze at our back encouraging us along at the end of the day - The Holy Spirit responding to the blessings (May the wind always be at your back…)
    We strolled really really slowly around the town to enjoy a cold beer and some Pinchos. The Cathedral de Santa Maria de la Redonda was incredibly large and decorated.
    The volunteers encouraged us all to attend mass at 7:30 at iglisia de Santiago el Real, , followed by a communal meal and then back to the church for Albergue community evening prayers through a secret tunnel from the Albergue into the church.

    Washing the dishes after dinner was an entertaining automated process.

    Good night !
    Read more