Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Ledigos (23.2km / 390.1km)

    May 12, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    We slept in a big dormitory room and some crazy people left at 3am?? and 4 am?? and 4.30am! Anyway, it was 3 degrees when we started and stayed cool all day. At one point we thought we were going to get wet but we stayed just ahead thankfully.
    We were really worried about the heat in the Meseta but as you can see on the weather forecast, it will be cold for the next week so we will be spared. When it is cool we probably walk at least 15% quicker.
    There was a 16km gap between the two towns this morning but a local had set up a fabulous containerised food van stop and we had a lovely cup of coffee and second breakfast after 8km.
    We caught up with an Aussie group of 3 that we met briefly on Day 1 and then about 10 days later. Nice to see them again.
    Sadly, Sally the dog is now 1 town ahead of us and we will probably not see them again. We caught up with them briefly at our lunch stop. There was also a mobile pilgrim police van checking everyone was ok. They have a section of the police which are only for pilgrims and they can be called at anytime and are often seen driving by checking if anyone needs assistance.
    We haven’t talked much about the walk because there is not much to say. It was a long, straight, flat walk. It is still pretty but in a different way. With less to look at we are supposed to think more / focus on the mental side. Towards the end of the day all we are thinking about is our feet! The rest of our bodies are strong but did I mention the feet?
    Our accommodation, Albergue la Morena, is a lovely restored property with exceptional service. There is nothing else in town - we didn’t see a single person other than Albergues. Even the church was locked and barred. The small local towns just are not financially feasible to maintain which is sad and makes our Albergues all the more impressive.
    We had a stunning dinner with a lentil and vegetable dish, pork ribs and tiramisu! We shared our table with a Canadian lady. A lovely end to the day.
    Read more