Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Villar de Mazarife (11km / 479.5km)

    May 18, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Today was one of our more uninteresting days. We managed a lovely breakfast in Leon before leaving and then were on our way. The start of todays walk was 7km through industrial Leon. We decided to bus it to preserve my blistered feet. I would have been horrified if you had told me before we left that I would do that, but I am pleased to say I am very happy to have done so. The bus route was pretty much along the pilgrim path. We got off the bus and visited the Basilica of La Virgin del Camino, a rather modern looking church, but it was great to start our walk with a prayer. The landscape and vegetation have definitely changed - much drier and more scrub like. We elected to do the scenic route rather than the road route which is a little longer. The little towns we passed through were very similar to a typical Karoo dorpie (small town for the non South Africans).. The village we are staying at tonight is called Villar de Mazarife. It is quite quaint but very quiet. Someone takes good care of the gardens as they are beautiful and well cared for. We are staying at Albergue San Antonio de Padua, so we feel we are in good hands.
    We had a very good quality meal including a Paella and crepes for dessert. Most went to bed after dinner but there were 2 Welsh couples travelling together who have done parts of the Camino (1 week at a time) for the last 10 years. They were well oiled and very entertaining. The other was a young German who gave a yodelling performance! Once again, the group meals provide a highlight!
    Read more