Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Rabanal “Retreat”

    May 23, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Today was such a rejuvenating day. The “retreat” was really just giving us the time and peaceful space to reflect and rest. We join the monks for their prayers 4 times a day in their Gregorian chant. We started getting the hang of it - singing in Latin!Then we have silent dinner and lunch but there was a chatty breakfast.
    The meals are very good! For lunch today we had a chicken & veggie soup followed by roast pork fillet and a yummy red wine and carrot sauce. For dinner tonight we had such a well made Risotto with mushrooms.
    The monastery has several quiet rooms. We were in the library with a good English section so we were able to choose what we wanted to read or reflect on our notes during the Camino to get perspective.
    It was also good strolling through the beautiful village which unlike so many others is full of life. There are a number of picture today - all of the village.

    The monks, a Spaniard, a Korean and a German are so welcoming and there is absolutely no “push” so it is all up to us. They have a monastery in South Africa (Cedara and Vryheid).

    There was an amazing turnout at Vespers tonight, probably 50 people!

    See you on the walking path tomorrow with new shoes
    Read more