Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 60

    Santiago de Compostela rest day #2

    11. juni 2023, Spania ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    We woke up late, well rested and made our way down to breakfast to join our friends, and what a breakfast it was - plenty of choice and eat as much as you like and we certainly did it justice. A sad farewell to our friends we had spent so much time with and shared wonderful moments. We packed up our belongings and sorted out what we wanted to take on the next part of our trip - a week on bicycles. We had collected the bags we had sent to Santiago from the beginning of our trip - it certainly is easier with less stuff. The Camino has certainly been a reminder of what is necessary when travelling (and so much easier to handle too). We checked into our new accommodation - very central and the perfect location. We received a message from Tammy to say there had been drama with their car hire so they were coming back to join us, so it wasn’t goodbye after all. We spent some time browsing the many shops and enjoying the narrow cobbled lane ways. We had Pizza for lunch which made a nice change, and then had the obligatory siesta. We had decided to celebrate Corpus Christi at the Pilgrim Mass at the Cathedral so we got there over an hour early to get a seat. I was able to spend some time in front of the Blessed Sacrament with mostly locals in one of the many side chapels. The Mass was beautiful. There was a full choir accompanied by the organ. The acoustics are incredible. The Archbishop was the presider. Once the Mass was over, the solemn Eucharistic procession began with the Blessed Sacrament placed in the monumental custody, carried in a decorated cart. The procession ran through the many old lanes and streets of the historical centre, accompanied by flag bearers, band and many many people. The reverence and holiness of the occasion was a blessing to witness. We returned to the outside of the Cathedral where the blessing was imparted with the Blessed Sacrament. It was after 10pm by now so we managed a quick tapas meal and a drink with Tammy and James before turning in for the night.
    On an aside note. I keep forgetting to mention the many and often ringing of the church bells. In bigger towns and cities, there are many and they can be heard ringing from everywhere. Often they toll every 15 minutes and throughout the night. On occasion when a church has been right across the road from us, it can be a rather restless night. However the beauty and significance of each bell toll is such a welcome sound that even that is a blessing. I will really miss all the bell ringing when we leave here
    Les mer