Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Udaipur

    July 31, 2023 in India ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We flew from Trivandrum to Udaipur, the city of lakes, via Bengaluru (Bangalore). We were met by our guide, Mr Deepak, and personal driver, Mr Singh, both gentlemen and at our service. We checked into our beautiful hotel, The Trident. What a sight, so peaceful and luxurious. I am not going to lie - the cold beer and hot shower were very welcome, although I would not change our experience at the orphanage for anything. Our dinner was a delicious buffet of local cuisine to the backdrop of Indian dancers and traditional flute playing. We ended our meal with the beautiful Marsala tea.

    The next day after after a huge breakfast selection we were collected by Mr Deepak and Mr Singh for a day of sightseeing.

    We visited City Palace, where the Royal family still reside, the same family since 566. The largest royal compound in Rajasthan, built with granite and marble. It is built atop a hill, overlooking Lake Pichola. Several lakes were constructed in the area, providing beautiful scenery and water to the city. The city is also surrounded by mountains and was never conquered by the moguls.

    Mr Deepak took some time to explain some of the Hindu origins and beliefs and we visited a few temples in the area. We took a boat ride on Lake Pichola, which is encircled by the Aravalli mountain. We visited the island in the middle of the lake which used to be owned and occupied by the Royal family and used as a place of relaxation. It is now a hotel. It is beautifully peaceful away from the hustle and bustle of the city. We were taken shopping to an incredible fabric centre where we could not pass the opportunity of having some locally made outfits tailored for us which were delivered to our hotel later that night. We had a small rest before being picked up once again to witness some beautiful Indian dancing alongside some commentary.
    Read more