Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Agra

    August 5, 2023 in India ⋅ ☁️ 31 °C

    Agra is on everyone’s list because of the Taj Mahal. Our guide was waiting for us at the hotel after our 4 hour drive from Jaipur and we set off for a buffet lunch and then to visit Agra Fort.
    The fort was built in the 1600’s by the Mughals who were incredibly wealthy at that time and thus can be evidenced in the beautiful structures which served as the palaces for their families when they ruled the area with some incredible engineering, including water heating and cooling.
    The fort is located on the river with great views of the Taj Mahal.
    The Taj Mahal was commissioned by the 5th Mughal emperor, Shah Jahan, as a tomb and sign of his love for his favourite wife (the other 2 were arranged marriages). She died shortly after giving birth to their 14th child. He moved her body to be buried at the site and started spending more and more time there and spending more and more money on honouring her.
    His oldest son, concerned about the spending and lack of time ruling had his father jailed. He also killed his 2 bothers to ensure he had the control and power to rule. His father spent his last 8 years in jail but his room had great views of the Taj Mahal so he was able to be near to his beloved. When he died, his daughter ensured he was buried next to his beloved wife (making this the only asymmetrical item in the building).
    The Taj Mahal is surrounded by beautiful green gardens and river pools and is slightly elevated above ground level which makes it seem like it is floating. The gardens were to represent the feel of paradise as described in the Koran.
    The symmetrical structure itself is grand and peaceful, built with local white marble embedded with precious gem stones and gold.
    We visited at sunrise which created a very special calmness as well as having fewer people.
    We visited the artisans, directly descended from those who built the Taj Mahal to see how they inlayed the gems into the marble. The marble comes from nearby Rajasthan and is incredibly durable which makes it even more difficult to work with. It explains the incredible preservation of the building.
    Read more