Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Delhi

    August 6, 2023 in India ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    This was our last stop before heading home and what a treat it was. Our hotel was a beautiful building in the Diplomatic Enclave, wide quiet streets and forests nearby and lovely staff and food.
    We went to the Delhi Cathedral for our first English mass in months.
    In the morning, we started with a guided walk through old Delhi which certainly awakened all our senses! We visited a Hindu Jain temple and then walked through the Hindu area, tasting some samosas and Jelibee. Then we walked towards the Islamic section near the magnificent mosque. Our guide was Hindu but had a great respect for all religions so we learned a lot. She also took us to a Sikh temple (one on each day) and saw how they provided meals to anyone, 24 hours a day. We were able to walk through the kitchens too. An amazing service they offer. Some 30,000 meals are served daily and everyone who helps in anyway are all volunteers.
    We walked through the spice markets with a huge selection of spices, chillies and things we’d never seen before, all surrounded by crazy traffic and horns honking. The city is so alive! The evening market, Delhi Haat, was much more sedate and calming.
    Our guides in Delhi were so knowledgeable and balanced so we had great discussions about religion, politics and anything else.
    We said goodbye to Mr Singh, our amazingly patient and caring driver who made us feel safe and comfortable all the time.
    Read more