Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Weary but worth it

    May 26, 2017 in France ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We're absolutely buggered - I don't think we've wasted a minute. The morning today was taken up with a tour to Montmartre, the area where many of the famous artists - eg Toulouse la Trec, Renoir - lived in the late 1800s. It is the highest point in Paris with the basilica, Sacre Cour, on the peak. Montmartre village is centred with a village square with shops and cafes all around. The centre is filled with cafes surrounded by artist stalls leaving a walkway between them and the shops - photo might show this. We wandered around and found a cafe with some room. We had coffee and a crepe - more food. We were taken up to the peak in a little tourist train. While waiting for the return trip down the hill, we watched the most amazing West Indian guys busking. They had the crowd singing and dancing with them - very entertaining.
    We didn't take the coach back to the hotel, choosing instead to take the Metro to take us to Luxemburg Palace and gardens and the Latin Quarter. We walked through this area, which is also the centre for research centres and universities, to another Metro line for the ride back. I think we reached the far side of Paris. The Metro is very user friendly and very efficient.
    After all our walking in the last few days, we went for dinner and went into the first Bistro we came to. Lovely food!
    Back to the hotel to pack for the morning. Our bags have to be outside our rooms by 7am. We will travel to Amsterdam by very fast train.
    J&J
    Read more