Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    We are sailing......to Cologne

    May 28, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Today we were coached to Zaanse Schans, a village of typical Dutch houses, windmills and craft stores. The windmills are functioning. Some windmills were for pumping water to drain land and others were to power workshops. We went on a tour of one which makes paint pigment as it would have been made for the old masters. There are clog makers, a cheese factory and, of course, an antique shop and craft stores.
    When the coaches left the ship, it sailed off and we caught up with it at midday. The rendezvous point was the lock which was to lift us 3.5 metres from the Amsterdam-Rhine canal to the Rhine River.
    Explored the ship then guess what ??? - more food - afternoon tea. Everything looks so nice and is even tastier than it looks.
    Then time to get ready for the Captain's Welcome Dinner tonight. First champagne (and a long stemmed rose for each lady), then a lovely dinner. We sat in the dining room at a table for four and were joined by a lovely couple from Sydney. This is a bit of a strategy so that we can meet as many people as possible and not get into a group.
    We will be sailing through the night in order to reach Cologne in the morning. We were very surprised to see cows and horses freely walking on the beaches on the banks of the river.
    On return to our room, there is an invitation to dinner tomorrow from Princess Heide von Hohenzollern at her Palace. First chance to really frock up! J&J
    Read more