Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    The only way to fly!!!

    May 19, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Picture is Janette curled up 'in bed' with a good book.
    We're still four or five hours from Barcelona. We've been on this leg for about eight and a half hours, leaving Singapore about midnight Singapore time. We arrived a bit late into Singapore due to being put in a holding pattern because of the amount of air traffic. We had to change terminals and gate to gate we estimate was three kms. We got there in one of those airport buggies about ten minutes before takeoff.
    On the first leg, Janette had a window seat and I had the aisle - seats were two together down the sides and two together down the middle. We settled in and checked out all the gadgets etc. a hostess asked if we would like a drink (does a bear play in the woods?) and we asked for a Sav Blanc. We ordered dinner - beef for me, snapper for Janette. First “sorry we're out of Sav Blanc, will chardy be OK? “ Next “sorry we've run out of snapper but we've got chicken”. Both were fine.
    In the meantime we kept checking out the gadgets, especially the seat which turned into a bed at the push of a button - slowly. In fact there was a row of buttons that made the seat do all sorts of things - I was like a kid in a toy shop. Janette's chair wouldn't budge though. Cabin crew came and switched things on and off and unplugged and replugged - but it didn't want to work. It was decided we would move to two empty seats in the middle after dinner which allowed Janette the window seat for the remaining daylight.
    I pointed out that hopefully they're the three things that will go wrong.
    Some time after we'd moved and had retired to bed, a steward knelt next to me and gave me what are effectively two cheques for $100 each for being inconvenienced. He said we can spend them in duty free any time in the next twelve months. I, of course, protested, not very strongly, that it wasn't necessary, that we hadn't really been too inconvenienced... but I wasn't letting go of those cheques.
    The rest of the journey, we've been chasing the night. We'll land in Barcelona at dawn. I'll post again later.
    Read more