Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Basilica Familia

    May 21, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    https://www.footstepsontheglobe.com/destination…

    I must admit that I was very sceptical about this 'church'. I'd heard so much about its construction and had seen pictures. Its appearance confused me. Having now seen it close up I have to say that it's amazing. The outside is one thing, but the inside is colossal. The columns inside support the roof and towers so the walls aren't load bearing - this meant a lot more leeway on window design as there is little stress on them. My photos might show how big is it but I think it's worth clicking on the link above or googling basilica familia.
    This entire project is funded by donations only. All donors are strictly anonymous except for Gaudi and one other early supporter. Anonymity ensures that no person or company can use their donation for marketing purposes. Gaudi was well off but wasn't interested in money or even eating. He was hit by a tram. He wasn't recognised - he just looked like a tramp. He died in a charity hospital. He had no family - all his money went towards the building. Our guide pointed out that everyone who buys a ticket is also a donor. They want to complete building by 2026, the one hundredth anniversary of his death.
    We got back to the hotel about two and went to a nearby bakery and bought a couple of rolls for lunch. The afternoon was spent walking back to the gothic quarter and having another wander round.
    On the walk back, we went into a square knicknamed Trafalgar Square because of the number of pigeons there.
    Tonight we were taken to a little farm that is now a restaurant and had a few wines and far too much to eat. They just kept bringing out plates of food for the ten at each table to share. I think there are 38 of us doing this Barcelona part of the tour.
    This type of eating is called tapas.

    Tomorrow - Montserrat (serrated mountain).
    Read more