Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Gaudi, architecture and gothic quarter

    May 21, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Breakfast at 7 then assemble at 8 for our tour to finish at 2. It was a real architectural morning. First was access to an Antoni Gaudi creation before it opened to the general public. This is another occasion where I don't know that I can describe what we saw. When you first see pictures of his creations you might think they are weird. But when you visit them it may well confirm that point of view, or you could be awed. We are awed.
    The first visit was to Casa Batllo, a house in the middle of Barcelona designed by Gaudi (first two pictures). It is amazing. It was completed in 1906. There is a big lightwell in the centre of the house down through the seven storeys - a feature that would be more than acceptable today. Again, I think the best thing would be to google casa batllo.
    Next was the oldest part of town - the gothic quarter. This was on the edge of the city when there was a Roman wall around the city. Most of the wall has long gone, but a little still remains. Where it can be seen there is often a building built in front of the wall and backing right up to it. Therefore it's thought that much of the wall is probably still there as part of existing buildings. There are excavations showing Roman burial sites and there will be many more beneath buildings.
    The attraction of the gothic quarter is really the maze of narrow streets with assortments of little shops.
    The last visit was to the Basilica Familia. So that I can add more photos, I'll put that on a separate post.
    Read more