Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    1st full day.

    May 29, 2015 in Brunei ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Up early and had a great hotel buffet breakfast. We had two pots of tea to shake the caffeine withdrawal headaches.
    The hotel appears to be well situated for us to be able to walk to most of the places we want to see.
    Walked down to the river and took a water taxi tour of the water village, Kampong Ayer. It has houses, schools restaurants etc, all built on the water. From there we went down river to the forest area to look for monkeys. We saw Macaque monkeys first, but the highlight was finding a probiscis monkey in the trees.
    After managing to disembark, we wandered round a department store and shops. We had an amazingly refreshing drink called pearl tea. John tried on some sneakers, but they didn't have any large enough.
    As it's Friday, everything closes from 12.00 till 2.00pm. At 1.00pm the call to prayer sounded from the many mosques. It seemed like the entire population were at one of the mosques.
    We went back to the hotel to cool down.
    We spent the afternoon at the craft centre after a coffee at Gloria Jeans. The coffee cost more than our dinner last night! We again returned to the hotel to cool down and then had a la carte dinner at the hotel - a relaxing end to a day with lots of walking in hot and humid weather.
    Read more