Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Ireland - to be sure.

    June 1, 2015 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    It was a long and tiring trip. We flew from Brunei to London with a brief stopover in Dubai. We had to change from international to domestic in London. We flew British Airways to Dublin.
    Arrived in Dublin Airport about lunchtime - John full of a cold.
    Caught a taxi from Dublin Airport to Jurys Hotel in an area called Christchurch. The taxi driver was amazing. An older gentleman, we reckon he was driving a taxi because he enjoyed doing it. He was obviously very well educated and proved very informative about what to see and do. I suspect he might have been a teacher, perhaps of English Lit. He spoke passionately about Irish authors eg Oscar Wilde, James Joyce, George Bernard Shaw...
    He assured us our hotel was well positioned for us to walk into Old Dublin. We are close to the castle and many eateries. This was good news as we have no car while in Dublin.
    We couldn't access our room till 3.00pm, so we left our bags at reception and went for a walk. Virtually just around the corner was the castle and shopping strip - Temple Bar.
    Checked into our room and unpacked and rested. Walked back to the shopping area, found a nice little cafe, The Larder, and had steak and chips.
    Asleep by 7.00pm.
    Read more