Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The house of James Joyce.

    June 2, 2015 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We had an early start after an in-house breakfast. We wanted to see the James Joyce Museum, which is in his old house. We walked through theTemple Bar area and over the River Liffey.
    Walked into town and checked out the shops. Janette just had to look through the Marks and Spencer Store. It was quite cold so Janette bought a windcheater in a huge souvenir shop that seemed to sell everything from fridge magnets to clothes. It was a Republic of Ireland windcheater. We went into Bewleys Tea Shop and had a warming cuppa.
    We chanced upon a statue of James Joyce - great photo opportunity. While taking the photo, I stepped back and bumped a lady who was walking past. I apologised and suggested she must be sick of tourists taking photos and getting in the way. She said, “Oh no, we love you!”
    We had a rough idea of where James Joyce's house was located so we set off to find it. It's a large Georgian building with much of him still there. The house is in a lovely Georgian street. May of the things in the house reminded Janette of her Nana and the Minnie Hooper collection.
    This afternoon - number one one my bucket list - the Guinness Brewery.
    Read more