Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Spiddal - Saturday 6th June.

    June 6, 2015 in Ireland ⋅ 10 °C

    Basic facilities but great breakfast and Geraldine is a very helpful host. Weather still cold and windy so glad not taking the ferry - looks really rough.
    Took two bags of washing to get done. The man in the laundry was very interested in where we'd been and where we were headed. He asked if we'd seen Ashford Castle and the Cliffs of Moher. He said, “if you see nothing else you've got to see those two, and if you're not back by 5.00pm you'll have to wait till Monday to pick up this laundry.”
    We drove into Galway to the area around the River Corrib and The Claddagh.
    Then off on a drive through the Connemara to Clifden. The Connemara is home to the famous Connemara Ponies, a native Irish pony. You'd have to be extremely lucky to see any - we didn't see any. Clifden is a large village catering to tourists and fishermen.
    Drove coastal route back and a new, spectacular view appeared around every corner.
    Dinner at Donnelly's on the recommendation of Gerardine was amazing - scallops on a light mash on a great black pudding. John had seafood in a crepe.
    Read more