Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Norfolk History - orientation tour.

    July 1, 2022 on Norfolk Island ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    After a hearty breakfast, we boarded the mini bus at 8.30 for an orientation tour of the island with driver Max.
    As he drove, he gave a potted history of Norfolk Island settlement.
    First, north to Cascade Bay. There is a pier here: it is one of the two piers where supply ships can be unloaded to resupply the island. The other pier is on the south coast at Slaughter Bay, Kingston (slaughter meant swamp).
    There is nowhere for ships to dock here. On approach to N I, the weather conditions dictate which pier is to be used. The supply ship waits offshore and everything is unloaded into barges to be ferried to the pier and unloaded again. It takes two to three days to unload.
    We then headed for Kingston.
    Kingston was the original settlement site on the island and still has some amazing old buildings including the Governor's House where the current administrator resides.
    We continued on the tour with commentary and had a lovely cream tea at Orn Daa Cliff - a farm house on the western side of the island with lovely views and and set up to cater for functions - eg. Sunset fish dinners and with local girls performing Tahitian dances.
    Just nearby was the lovely St Barnabus Anglican church with its interesting construction. The pews face inwards to the aisle rather than across the church. For this reason, it is a popular place for couples to marry.
    There is a memorial garden next to the church. It contains gravestones moved from a Melanesian mission. Next to that again is a huge, old Sri Lankan fig tree.
    We took note of places and things we would like to do…
    Read more