Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    From tourist to convict.

    July 1, 2022 on Norfolk Island ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    After being delivered back to our digs, we headed into town (Burnt Pine). The cattle here just free range around the roads. They are all owned and have ear-tags. The owners know where their cattle are likely to be as they are 'territorial'. Like our cattle, they are 'hefted' to their territory and know where they belong.
    Many driveways have cattle grids to stop the cattle 'visiting'. The same applies to the town: there are cattle grids and pedestrian gates on every approach to town.
    We booked the Convict Dinner for tonight and the Progressive Dinner for Monday night. The Convict Dinner is held in the hotel across the road from us and requires us to dress in the convict outfits supplied to us when we booked. The Progressive Dinner will be entree, dinner and dessert with three different local families.
    After a light lunch at the little cafe near the airport we went for a drive around the island. Max, our driver from this morning, had pointed out a few things, one of which was the turnoff to the lookout on Mt Pitt, so that was the first stop.
    As he promised, there are excellent views of the island.
    Down in Kingston we visited the Pier Store Museum which had a really informative time line of Norfolk Island’s history and also many artefacts found by members of the first fleet. These were an indication of Polynesian presence prior to Cook’s discovery.
    A little further along the coast is the cemetery. The far end has the oldest graves and as you approach that section, the old, original gateposts to the cemetery are still there. There are names that feature frequently - Quintal, Adams, Christian, Evans, Buffett… Many people drowned and there are many, many children and infants buried there.
    Back to the hotel to don our convict outfits and venture across the road for a lovely old fashioned meal and an evening of hilarity and fun. We had to be there by 6.00pm under threat of a flogging if we were late.
    Read more