Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Wahoo Saturday.

    July 2, 2022 on Norfolk Island ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Woke to the sound of birds again.
    After breakfast we drove into town to get back the deposits on our convict outfits from last night. A roadside sign yesterday said there would be a farmers market this morning. When we got there we couldn't see any sign of a market. Perhaps there hadn't been much enthusiasm by participants.
    Had another exploratory drive. On our orientation tour we had passed four massive morton bay figs outside 'The Homestead Restaurant' . We drove there with a view to booking into the restaurant. Unfortunately it was closed due to staff having covid, but we had a good look at the trees. They really are massive.
    We headed back to town to the bookshop as Denise is looking for a particular book. The shop owner said she will make enquiries re it's availability.
    Had a coffee near the shoe and book shops. Burnt Pine is a bit like Melbourne was once: most places close at midday on Saturdays.
    There is a bar in town which has a lawn area out the front. A sign says live music 3 - 6 every Sunday. We had been advised to book a table if we were going and wanted a seat. We went and booked and asked about the possibility of dinner as well. It seems they may do a laksa but they may not. This is typical of the laidback attitude we're seeing here.
    The Bounty Bar and Grill is highly recommended so we went to book for dinner tonight. It was fully booked but she said if we were happy to arrive at 5.30, she would fit us in - very early but we booked.
    Lunched at the Olive Shop then back 'home'. I wrote some of the blog. Janette caught up on the washing. Denise and Michael took the car and went 'bush' for a walk.
    5.30 and we duly arrived at the Bounty. We were greeted with much enthusiasm as there was a very special, special on the menu tonight. A Wahoo had been caught! Only six or seven a year are caught and when one is caught, the whole island knows about it. This restaurant bought it. We all said that we would have that.

    Wahoo (Acanthocybium solandri) is a scombrid fish found worldwide in tropical and subtropical seas. It is best known to sports fishermen, as its speed and high-quality flesh makes it a prized and valued game fish.
    Read more