Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Market, memorial and music.

    July 3, 2022 on Norfolk Island ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    First up today, the Sunday morning market in town. Because it looked like it would rain, the stalls were back under the building verandahs. The goods were mostly souvenir items. We bought a 2023 calendar and a N I recipe book. Denise purchased some locally made "knitting Nancy's" for the grandchildren.
    Michael had checked the map and pointed out there were some roads we still hadn't explored.
    We headed for Puppy's Point on the west coast. This spot has several nice picnic spots and is a highly recommended sunset viewing spot. We might not get to verify that as the main ingredient for that - the Sun -is missing at the moment due to the overcast conditions. Nevertheless, it's worth a visit anytime for the views.
    Next destination was the north coast and Captain Cook's Memorial. More amazing views - even higher cliffs and even more exposed and windy.
    Back to town and a visit to Cyclorama.

    “Fletcher’s Mutiny Cyclorama is about as close as you can get to watching Norfolk Island’s history unfold without whipping out a time machine. Creating a cyclorama to explain this part of our history was the idea of Marie Bailey, a descendant of Fletcher Christian.
    Measuring 3.6 metres in height and 50 metres in circumference, this 360° painting puts you at the centre of our story, with scenes depicting the voyage and mutiny on the Bounty and the settlement of the island.
    Standing in the middle of the panoramic masterpiece – with music, sound, props and 3D illusions enhancing the effect – it’s not hard to imagine yourself in the thick of the action. Listen carefully to the cyclorama soundtrack and you’ll hear snippets of Norf’k, a language still spoken by islanders to this day”

    https://www.norfolkcyclorama.com/

    1.00pm - it looked like the Olive Shop was the only place open in town, so we lunched there again.
    We had decided to check out 'The Local'. They have live music from 3.00pm every Sunday. The entertainers were really good. If you weren't looking, one could have been Johnny Cash. We stayed till about 4.30. It was quite windy and cool and we had arranged to meet Kyle at 5.30 for drinks. We were to meet at the Boatshed, one of the restaurants at the resort.
    We had the drink with Kyle (a colleague of Candice and a resident of N I) and then decided we would dine there together. It was a very pleasant evening and we were able to pick Kyle's brains about N I.
    Read more