Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 226

    Ten tenors in Canberra

    14. heinäkuuta 2023, Australia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    The Ten Tenors being in Canberra for a concert was a good excuse for a weekend away. The fact that there was a Saturday matinee performance made it even more appealing.
    We arranged to meet at the Canberra Arboretum for lunch, so, 7 am start and, as usual, breakfast in Holbrook.

    Met at 12.30 at the Arboretum, booked into the Ginger Restaurant, and settled back for a leisurely lunch.

    “The National Arboretum Canberra combines a living collection of forests with an entertainment and events centre offering unique experiences. It is one of the world’s largest living collections of rare, endangered and significant trees; surrounding visitors with spectacular views, stunning architecture and the natural beauty of trees and gardens. Over 44,000 trees from around the world and Australia are growing across 250 hectares (618 acres) of rolling hills.
    Nestled into the landscape, the award-winning Village Centre is at the heart of the Arboretum. Visitors can enjoy a free guided tour of the Village Centre and marvel at the miniature living artworks in the National Bonsai and Penjing Collection. Relax and refresh at the Café at the Arboretum, Ginger at the Arboretum Restaurant and The Curatoreum gift shop. Discover the forests and lookouts, great picnic spots, outdoor sculptures, walking and cycling trails and the unique nature-themed Pod Playground where children explore giant acorn cubby houses and banksia pods.
    With over 44,000 rare and endangered trees across a 250-hectare site, the Arboretum is a place of beauty, conservation, science research, education, tourism and recreation”.

    After checking into our accommodation, Quest Canberra, we headed down City Walk with a view to find somewhere to eat. Not far along we spotted a Vietnamese restaurant. A bottle of wine from the wine shop next door, and we enjoyed a nice meal.

    Saturday morning we headed to the National Portrait Gallery. First though was breakfast in the Gallery cafe before having a good look around.

    Next stop was Canberra Glassworks:-
    “Canberra Glassworks provides artists with state-of-the-art equipment; intensive workshops taught by leading glass artists; studios and residency programs; and a unique context to explore, develop and realise new work.
    Canberra Glassworks also provides diverse opportunities for visitors to interact with and learn about glass making and the heritage of Canberra’s Kingston Power House. Visitors can meet artists, see glassmaking as it happens, view exhibitions, take tours and have a hands-on experience working with glass”

    After a look around, we stopped at a gallery above the work area to watch a student being taught glassblowing. Perhaps something to try next time?

    The Ten Tenors show was starting at 2pm. We decided it would be best to head back to our digs, park the car, freshen up and then have a light lunch near the theatre.

    Not much to say about the show other than it was every bit as good as expected and more.

    Walking back after the show, we passed the mall which had been turned into a winter play area with ice skating and children's sledging.

    Dinner at the Banana Leaf was good - as it was last visit.

    Paul had heard about a world champion barista who has a coffee shop in Canberra. Mr Google knew exactly where to find him, of course. It was decided we would have Sunday morning breakfast there before heading for home.

    The food was delicious but the coffee was a tad too fancy for our tastes…
    Lue lisää