Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Drag Queen Olympics

    August 4, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Pride opened with the Drag Queen Olympics, which consisted of: stiletto heel 👠 racing, handbag 👜 throwing, hula hoop and riding a hobby horse 🐴. The two drag queen MCs kept the crowd entertained with their sharp-witted, and often sharp-tongued, sense of humour. Our favourite was the Italian drag queen, Lola. She had big hair and looked ready to do the Jane Fonda workout video.

    The winner was a Jamaican drag queen, who demonstrated that she was the better hobby horse rider.

    Afterwards, street parties popped up all over Amsterdam, with music and other entertainment. Though it was going to be hard to top the Drag Queen Olympics. We positioned ourselves in Dam Square, the main square of Amsterdam, in front of the Royal Palace and the Nieuwe Kerk.

    The music was entertaining but we couldn't help but think that music stopped in 1999. All of the songs were samples from pre-1999. But we were taken even further back in time when the next act appeared on stage: Boney M. It was a strange act to have between two DJs. Somehow the disco tunes of the Rivers of Babylon, Brown Girl in the Ring 💍 and Daddy Cool didn't quite suit the occasion. But it did provide for an entertaining evening!
    Read more