Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Amsterdam Pride Canal Parade

    August 5, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    The big event finally arrived. The city was completely plastered with pride flags (including the Oude Kerk, the oldest church in Amsterdam). The atmosphere was buzzing with people all trying to position themselves along the parade route. There was a sea of people for as far as you could see. Those lucky enough to get a spot of one of the many boats on the canals were fortunate to get an up-close view of the glitter, leather and sequins. Us mere peasants were contented with a position on the bridge along the Prinsengracht (and Berenstraat).

    The boats began in the East at the Oosterdok then they floated down into the Nieuwe Herengracht, Amstel, Prinsengracht and finished at the Prinsengracht/Westerdok. All in all the parade took 3 1/2 hours to weave through the canals of Amsterdam.

    The parade included 80 floats, all with a specific theme (well mostly, some just seemed to be party boats). The crowd was so diverse from children to grandparents, all celebrating diversity and love in whatever shape and form that it might come in. It's not just tolerance, it's acceptance! And that's what I love about Amsterdam and the Netherlands in general.
    Read more