Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    A Moment in Munich

    June 20, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    For our final destination of our trip, we headed to Munich in the South-East of Germany. We checked out of our hotel in Berlin, headed to the Zoologischer Garten train station and hopped off at the Berlin Hauptbahnhof to get the high speed train to Munich.

    As the Munich-bound train arrived, it seemed to be missing a few carriages. Jason found a carriage that had our seat numbers but it had a different wagon number. He was prepared to jump on anyway. But apparently our wagon was still to come. Then there was an announcement that our train would be delayed by half an hour. Half an hour went by and another announcement advised us that it would be delayed by another fifteen minutes. This was shortly followed by a further delay of an hour. No, make that 70 minutes.

    After 70 minutes the missing carriages/wagons appeared and connected to the existing train carriages. We were delayed a further fifteen minutes due to a damaged part of the train that seemed to occur when they connected the trains. Now we were finally off. Doomsday Jason had the train cancelled, and we were never going to make it to the Depeche Mode concert in the evening.

    After checking into our budget hotel in the city centre, close to the train station, we discovered that the toilet wasn’t working. Reception! If it’s yellow, let it mellow, if it’s brown, flush it down.

    We had little time to waste to get a quick glimpse of Munich and stock up on a few provisions for our flight home. We wandered around the city centre for a few hours before heading back to the hotel to freshen up and get pretty for the Depeche Mode concert.

    Jason had received a message to say that the starting time of the concert had changed to 7:45pm. He was convinced that this was the starting time for Depeche Mode. I wasn’t so sure. I think it was Nanna's wishful thinking; nanna wanted a relatively early night. Fat chance!

    We jumped on the metro at the U-bahn, which was packed with lots of concert-goers. A Spanish couple sat opposite Jason and hasn’t realised that maybe he could understand their conversation, which included something about us. As we disembarked the train, Jason gave her a “con permiso” (excuse me), letting them know that they weren’t the only ones who understood (some) Spanish. This was met with a “me encanta” (I love it). Presumably she was talking about our outfits.

    We made it to the Olympic Stadium and headed to get a drink. The bar attendant complimented us on our outfits. She loved our style, with black netted tops and black shorts. Yes, we thought it was uber Depeche Mode too.

    With drink in hand, we stood watching the support act, Young Fathers. I realised that there was another section. I took a sticky beak and yes we were in the wrong section. We had tickets for front of stage rather the pleb view beside the sound and lighting tent.

    Half way through the concert, the heavens decided to open up and piss down. Fortunately it didn’t last long and we could enjoy the remainder of the concert, albeit like drowned rats.

    Then came the trip home. Somehow we did a Sharon Strzelecki and barged our way through the crowd and onto the waiting train. We had to change at Scheidplatz but we still made it home before Cinderella’s coach turned into a pumpkin. We got further compliments when we walked past the local strip club about 50 metres from the hotel. Somehow they thought we were twins (from different mothers and fathers).

    Now it was time to get a little shut eye before the mammoth trip home.

    Next destination: Brisbane via London and Dubai
    Read more