Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Travel to Valladolid

    January 2 in Mexico ⋅ 🌙 72 °F

    It was a long day of traveling. We left the house at 3:45am and didn't arrive at our destination until 6:00 PM (Central). We flew from Pittsburgh to Miami, then Miami to Mérida, México. After clearing customs and immigration, we had to decide on mode of travel, either ride share or bus. Since taking a bus required also taking 2 buses (first one into downtown Mérida to the bus station), we opted for ride share and decided to try DiDi, an alternative to Uber, which was also available. Didi was significantly less expensive. To catch a ride share vehicle, we had to walk out of the airport property to the main road. Our ride showed up about 15 minutes after ordering it, beginning our 2+ hour road trip. Our driver didn't speak English so it was a pretty quiet trip. We traveled through a number of small towns/ villages that appeared to be pretty poor areas. On arriving in Valladolid, we were surprised at the amount of traffic ... Truly a traffic jam.

    After getting into our 2 room apartment, we unpacked quickly and immediately headed out for dinner. We ended up at La Crujía, which turned out to be an excellent choice. We choose seating in the back courtyard which was full of trees and away from the noise of the traffic. Food was very good as was the service of Catalina. The price for dinner with 2 beers was the equivalent of $25.

    We then walked toward the main square / park, which is only a block from where we are staying. It was a hug of activity, with storefronts surrounding the square and numerous street vendors in the park. We ended up having a churro, complete with Hershey's syrup. We kept the walk short as we were both very tired and lights were out around 930.

    I was surprised at the number of tourists, including several tourist buses parked by the main square. Although, that location is likely the main tourist spot in town.
    Read more